The benefits of positive praise for young children
Positive praise and encouragement helps to boost self-confidence and is particularly important during the early stages of a child’s development. The more confident a child feels the more they will welcome new challenges and be eager to learn. A healthy level of self-confidence will allow your child to flourish in academic and social situations, and will ensure they expect a certain amount of respect from others, which will help them to form fair and satisfying friendships.
Even from a very young age, praise is a good way to develop a resilient spirit in your youngster.
So here are 30 of our favourite positive praises to show your little learner how proud they make you every day.
- You make me proud.
- You are loved.
- Your ideas are amazing.
- I’m so lucky to have you.
- You don’t have to be perfect to be brilliant.
- Your opinions matter to me.
- You are important.
- I believe you and I believe in you.
- You are a valued member of this family.
- You were right.
- You make me happy.
- I love your creativity.
- Being around you is fun.
- I look forward to spending time with you.
- You are interesting.
- I love seeing the world your way.
- It’s good to be curious.
- That’s a great question.
- Your friends are lucky to know you.
- That was a really good choice.
- Seeing you happy makes me happy.
- Thank you for being you.
- That was really brave.
- We all make mistakes, I forgive you.
- You are very good at that!
- You did your best. You can always try again.
- I love how you say/do that.
- You did that really well.
- That’s a great idea!
- I love you and I always will.
So why not use some of these inspired by popsugar.com, or even better, make your own positive phrases by saying what you feel in your heart each time your child makes you proud. You can adapt your praises depending upon the age of your child and their own level of understanding.
Even if your child does something badly, always try to look for the positives in any situation. Perhaps their shoes are on the wrong way around – again – but they did very well putting their matching socks on! There is nearly always a bright side to focus on, and children and parents alike will all benefit from taking the positives, rather than the negatives, from any situation.
At Cherry Bridge Station Early Learning and Childcare we like children to learn through creative play and positive praise. Our fun, activity-based curriculum allows children the freedom to explore in a safe and positive environment while building those all-important social skills and oodles of confidence!